If you’re on the hunt for a tried and tested email marketing platform, then take a gander at our ConvertKit review.
As you probably already know, email marketing is a big deal that delivers big returns — a 36:1 return on investment, in most cases.
But what about the tools that make marketing automation possible? With so many options, which one is the right one?
We hear you.
That’s why we’re dissecting what’s possibly the best email marketing tool on the market, ConvertKit, and exploring the secrets behind this fan-favorite service.
By the end of this review, you’ll have the facts to help you decide whether ConvertKit is the right email marketing service for you.
Let’s slide into it!
What is ConvertKit?
ConvertKit (affiliate link) is a helpful email service provider (ESP) for everyone, from solopreneurs to established online businesses. But, the platform’s features zero in on online creators in particular.
ConvertKit allows you to send emails — like broadcast emails or an autoresponder email campaign — directly to email subscribers.
What’s more, ConvertKit comes with a landing page builder to help you sell your products and services; a pretty cool feature!
Who Should Use ConvertKit?
Here’s who will love ConvertKit:
- Anyone looking for a reliable and robust email marketing tool
- Anyone desiring to build their subscriber list
- And anyone longing to boost engagement with their audience
That said, as a platform, ConvertKit caters to online creators.
So, if you’re a blogger, freelance writer, artist, musician, or another kind of online creator, the ConvertKit plugin is tailor-made for you.
Even if you aren’t a content creator, you’ll still see that ConvertKit is loaded with snazzy (and super-useful) features to help you simplify digital marketing and deliver content like:
- A visual automation editor
- A quick and straightforward opt-in form (sign up form) builder
- Easy to use subscriber management tools
And tons of other email marketing software features and doodads we’ll cover later on.
ConvertKit Features and Benefits
Like we’ve hinted at already, ConvertKit is jam-packed with some world-class email marketing features.
So let’s pop the hood and see what’s inside!
Schedule and send automated email sequences — like a welcome, product launch, or nurture sequence — to keep your email subscribers engaged and moving through your marketing or sales funnel.
Of course, a specific email sequence (or even just emails within a sequence) might not be for everyone.
For example, you wouldn’t pitch a product to subscribers who already bought it.
Not to worry, the ConvertKit sequence editor lets you set subscriber exclusions based on certain characteristics — like specific tags or segments — ensuring the right emails go to the right people.
When it comes to marketing automation, ConvertKit delivers the goods.
Advanced email automation is a cornerstone feature of the platform.
Now, an email marketing newbie might feel a bit overwhelmed when tackling a ConvertKit automation for the first time.
But the platform does come with a visual marketing automation tool that makes this process a lot easier.
Using this drag and drop marketing automation gadgetry, you’ll be able to create customer journeys for your subscribers in a snap – that is, after you learn the basics.
(Be sure to take advantage of ConvertKit’s visual automation builder tutorials)
And the net result?
Highly targeted emails and relevant content are delivered to your subscribers at the right time, leading to higher open rates, increased engagement, and more conversions.
Landing Page Integrations
ConvertKit offers an array of gorgeous and customizable landing page templates to help you gain new subscribers or plug products and services.
Even if you have zero design experience, the landing page editor will have you up and running in a matter of minutes.
Here are the highlights:
- No Code? No Problem: ConvertKit’s landing pages are a no-code solution – but you can still customize them with CSS if coding is your jam.
- Unsplash Integration: Get royalty-free, commercially licensed images for your landing pages directly in the app, thanks to ConvertKit’s integration with stock image provider, Unsplash.
- Fully Responsive: ConvertKit’s automation virtually guarantees that your landing pages will look top-notch, even on mobile devices.
The ConvertKit dashboard is a simple layout separated into five tabs:
Subscribers: The subscriber tab/dashboard displays subscriber-related data, like your total subscribers, average open rate, subscriber segments, and tags.
Automations: Opens your automations dashboard where you can customize automations for specific sequences.
Landing Pages & Forms: Create landing pages and signup forms to use on your website.
Sequences: A sequence is ConvertKit’s version of an autoresponder campaign. And through this dashboard, you can draft, organize, and schedule customized (and personalized) emails sequences for your subscribers.
Broadcasts: Opens an editor where you can draft email broadcasts to send to your subscribers or segments.
So, why use automated emails?
Automated emails are a set it and forget it solution that saves you a ton of time to focus on other things.
As we mentioned, automation is the bread and butter behind ConvertKit.
All you have to do is set up and schedule your automation workflow and let the platform take care of everything else.
Broadcast emails (or mass emails) are usually one-time emails you send out to subscribers (or segments thereof).
They’re perfect for things like big announcements or breaking news:
A new blog post? Broadcast it!
Your monthly newsletter? Broadcast it!
A brand-spanking-new course launch? Broadcast it!
And as you probably already guessed, sending a broadcast email with ConvertKit is simple:
- Choose who will receive your email (your entire list or just a segment)
- Write the email
- Send it
Content upgrades are one the best ways to grow your email list and also sky-rocket conversions.
Now, a content upgrade (also called a lead magnet or an opt-in bribe) is an asset you offer a new subscriber in exchange for her email addresses — take advantage of a custom ConvertKit form to supercharge your marketing.
These can be things like:
- Mini eBooks
- White papers
- Exclusive videos or podcasts
Upload these content upgrades to your ConvertKit account and assign them to a specific landing page or form.
Then, when readers opt-in from the associated landing page or form on your website, they’re automatically delivered your content upgrade.
Selling Products and Services
Like we’ve said before, ConvertKit’s automation builder and sequencing are the perfect tools for creating campaigns to promote products and services.
But did you know that you can sell digital products directly from ConvertKit without any additional eCommerce integration?
Market and sell items like eBooks, coaching sessions, or exclusive newsletters directly to your subscribers or website visitors.
And with ConvertKit commerce, creating digital product listings and customized product pages is a total breeze.
The ConvertKit WordPress plugin also comes with integrated payment processing, so you don’t have to worry about implementing third-party solutions.
ConvertKit Support and Training
ConvertKit’s support and training are next-level, especially for anyone new to email marketing.
- A comprehensive, searchable knowledge base
- Their blog, Tradecraft, is filled with deep-dive articles about earning a living online (plus email marketing)
- A series of in-depth how-to guides
- Live and on-demand workshops, including technical tutorials
- A Creator Community
- And live chat (or email) with product specialists
ConvertKit FREE Plan
Yup, you heard that right:
ConvertKit FINALLY offers a free plan (with unlimited emails for up to 1,000 recipients)!
- Manage up to 1,000 subscribers
- Unlimited opt-in forms and landing pages
- Send email broadcasts
- Sell digital products, assets, and subscriptions
- Basic email support
ConvertKit Creator Plan
The Creator Plan is the middle-of-the-pack solution that most small-to-medium online businesses will select.
With the Creator Plan, pricing starts at $29 per month ($25 per month when billed yearly) up to 1000 subscribers.
Note: Subscription costs increase per subscriber per month after the initial 1000. Check the ConvertKit pricing page for details.
The Creator Plan includes everything from the Free Plan plus:
- Free migration from another Email Service Provider
- Visual automation funnels
- Automated sequences
- Priority email support
ConvertKit Creator Pro Plan
The Creator Pro Plan favors organizations that want advanced functionality and premium support, like large businesses or enterprises.
With the Creator Pro Plan, pricing starts at $59 per month ($50 per month when billed yearly) up to 1000 subscribers.
The Creator Pro Plan includes everything from the Free Plan and Creator Plan plus:
- Social media custom audiences
- A newsletter referral system
- Subscriber engagement scoring
- Advanced deliverability reporting
- Premium email support
The Pros and Cons of ConvertKit
Like any product, there are advantages and drawbacks to using ConvertKit.
First, consider individual pros and cons. Then analyze every ConvertKit feature we’ve discussed when making your final decision about ConvertKit.
ConvertKit Pros: What’s In It for You?
- A quick and simple landing page creator — seriously, take advantage of this!
- The option to sell products and services directly from the platform without additional integrations
- Many newbie-friendly features that scale as you become more proficient with ConvertKit
- An in-depth knowledge base, blog, and how-to guides
- The ability to organize your subscribers into tags and segments from a single subscriber pool instead of multiple lists with duplicate subscribers
ConvertKit Cons: Is It Really Right for You?
- Pricing is higher than some ConvertKit alternatives. Costs rise with advanced features or the growth of your email list
- If you’re an email marketing beginner, you may find certain features — like segmentation, tagging, and automation — complex to grasp
- The analytics reports could be a bit more detailed
- If you need an email template, they have them, but if you want a fancier design, you’ll need to bust out HTML or CSS
So That’s Our ConvertKit Review. Ready to Take it on a Free Test Drive?
Whether you’re a professional blogger or a creative entrepreneur, if you have an online business, you’re going to need a reliable email marketing platform.
Think about it:
Say you’ve crafted an email blast bursting with gusto — your best one yet.
Or maybe you’ve written a drip campaign so persuasive it makes silver-tongued politicians green with envy.
But what happens if those emails get lost in internet limbo, never to be delivered?
They wouldn’t be very effective, would they?
Now, ConvertKit won’t solve all your email marketing problems. No product will.
But don’t let that stop you from at least taking it out for a spin.
Our ConvertKit (affiliate link) review may be complete, but your journey is just beginning. So let us know how you feel about it!